I am pleased to advise that limited face-to-face social visits are due to recommence at the Alexander Maconochie Centre (AMC) from Monday 6 December 2021. I appreciate that this has been an incredibly difficult time for many and I hope that this will provide you with an opportunity to reconnect with your loved ones.
It is important that visits are resumed in a safe and gradual manner in order to protect the health and wellbeing of all within the centre. Considerable work has been undertaken to ensure visits are conducted with the appropriate restrictions to ensure the safety of all visitors, staff and detainees.
Visit bookings will be open from Friday 3 December 2021.
ACTCS recently commenced a COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Screening Pilot Program at the AMC. Rapid antigen tests are used as a screening tool to detect COVID-19 in people who are not showing symptoms.
Rapid antigen testing is being trialled as a further layer of defence against the spread of the virus in the AMC. It does not replace any of the other COVID-safe protocols we have in place such as good hand hygiene, physical distancing and PPE requirements.
Once recommenced, it will be a condition of entry for all staff, contractors and visitors (excluding children under the age of 12) entering the AMC. Visitors will be required to arrive 45 minutes prior to their visit time to ensure that screening does not take away from their visit time. Please note that those who refuse to undertake the test or return a positive result will not be able to enter the AMC.
The other restrictions to the visit arrangements include:
- Social visits will be limited to 11 detainees per sessions and will be booked on a ‘first come, first served basis’.
- Masks are to be worn by all visitors at all times, excluding children under the age of 12.
- Each detainee will be allowed a maximum of four visitors, with no more than three adults per visits (immediate family only). Those visitors who are restricted from accessing in person social visits will still be able to book a Zoom video visit with a detainee.
- Social distancing principles apply during the visits. No physical contact between visitors and detainees – you are required to remain in your allocated seating at all times.
- Visits will be reduced to 45 minutes to ensure enhanced cleaning between visits slots.
- Detainees are entitled to one zoom video visits and one face to face visit per week.
- Unfortunately, due to cleaning requirements, the following services and facilities will not be available during visits:
- toilet facilities
- the BBQ or access to play equipment
We look forward to welcoming you back to the AMC and hope that we can ease restrictions further before Christmas.
Ray Johnson APM